- 1.6kg whole free-range chicken
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Raptor Naturals Herbes Chicken Rub
- 2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 garlic bulbs, cut in half through the middle
- 1 cup dried couscous
- 2 cups green beans, peas or edamame - or a mix of all three.
- Handful of fresh flat leaf parsley
Garnish: Roughly chopped parsley and squeeze of baked lemon.
Serve with: Steamed green beans, peas or edamame.
How to cook: Can be cooked in a roasting pan inside your hooded BBQ, offset smoker or in your oven.
- One hour before cooking, remove the chicken from the fridge to pre-season.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place chicken on a board with breast side facing down. Using kitchen shears, cut down either side of the backbone from tail to neck and remove the spine. Turn the chicken over, so the breast side is facing up and press down on the chicken to flatten.
- Drizzle olive oil over each side of the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp Herbes Chicken Rub over each side.
- Arrange the onion slices in the bottom of a ceramic baking dish. Place lemon halves and garlic halves around the edges. Drizzle with olive oil and 2 Tbsp water. Season with salt, pepper and 1 Tbsp Raptor Naturals Herbes Chicken. Place the butterflied chicken with the breast side facing up, to the dish on top of the onions.
- Roast, BBQ or smoke at 200°C for 1 hour until chicken skin is golden and juices run clear when meat is pierced at its thickest point.
- Transfer the chicken to a chopping board and rest for 10 minutes before carving the chicken into serving portions.
- In the meantime, boil 1 cup water and add to the roasting dish with 1 cup dried couscous, ensuring all the couscous is covered with water. Cover dish with a board to trap steam and allow to stand for 5 minutes until couscous is tender.
- Blanche or steam the green beans/peas/edamame beans in boiling water for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the covering board and fluff up the couscous with a fork, combining with pan juices and roasted onions. Stir beans and peas into the cooked couscous. Transfer to a serving platter, squeeze over roasted lemon to taste, discarding any lemon seeds.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on top and serve with some roughly chopped fresh herbs tossed over the top.