- 800g beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons Chipotle & Coffee Rub
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 cups chicken or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup frozen peas
Substitute the beef chunks for cooked kidney beans or chickpeas. Add uncooked chickpeas to the pan after sauteeing onions and stock. Or add cooked kidney beans to the pot in the last 10 minutes.
- Cut beef into 3cm chunks. Place in a bowl and add flour, Chipotle & Coffee Rub and salt. Stir to coat evenly.
- Heat cooking oil in a large pot. Once hot, add beef, fry for 5 minutes browning on all sides. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook for 3 minutes until softened. Add stock, tomato paste and balsamic vinegar, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Bring stock to the boil. Add the beef, potatoes and carrots and stir to combine. Cover with a lid and bring heat down to simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes on the stove top.
- Alternatively transfer all sauteed ingredients from the pan into a slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- In the final 10 minutes of cooking time remove the lid and stir in frozen peas. Turn up the heat and cook for 5-10 minutes until sauce has thickened and peas are cooked through.